Saturday, July 16, 2022

Pidro Sing and Narra kids

I stayed in UP Narra dormitory 1983-85 and it was a memorable experience. Narra is the only all boys dorm in UP then so things can be funny and wild sometimes.  My first three roommates there were all Engineering students, they were all classmates from Pisay HS, all bright in science and math -- Joey Tiangco, Ariel Corpuz, Edgar "Gort" Goroza. They all graduated in 1984. I have no more photo with them.

I overstayed in UP to finish my undergrad thesis, my next roommates were my buddies from UP Sapul -- Monching Romano, Norman Roxas, and Gerry Mauricio.

Our room was along Katipunan side. Not far from us is the room of some UP legends -- Lean Alejandro, Sarge Colambo, Jojo Abinales, Alvin Batalla. Lean was a friendly guy and very active, very articulate activist student leader. He was assassinated in 1987. Really bad. RIP, Lean.

Dorm life means having many friends from many colleges. Among my friends in Narra in the 80s and friends until now, after four decades -- Peter "Pidro" Sing, Sarge Colambo, Clifford Espinosa, Ding Aguila, Jimmuel Naval, Severo "Nonoy" (my tokayo) Catura, Raphael "Popo" Lotilla. Popo was a legend in Narra, he stayed there when he was an undergrad student, law student, even as law Professor, so he has many friends from different colleges and batches.

Pidro is the wealthiest among my Narra friends and being friendly all these years, he's the most generous, galante, among us. He'd treat us to various gatherings with lots of food and drinks.

Last May, he gathered us at Powerplant mall. From left: Ding, tokayo Nonoy, Pidro, me, Jim, Cliff, Sarge.



Also last May, Pidro brought us to this nice place in Cavite. Forgot the name of the place...


Last November 2021, we visited a pneumahaus archi project of Cliff in Silang, Cavite. 


These are 2019 photos.


December 2019, Pidro and his company iOptions Ventures produced a movie, "Culion" and it luckily was included in the Metro Film Festival. He gave us the Culion shirt, nice. Another Narra kid John Lambino (2nd from left) joined us that night.


December 2020 or 2021 we also gathered with our friend but non-Narra dormmer, UP Diliman Chancellor Fidel Nemenzo and his wife Marivic Raquiza. I don't have the photo that night.

Our lunch in 2009. 


Pidro is such a gallant and great friend. Last month, I organized a dinner for now DOF Secretary Ben Diokno and DBM Secretary Mina Pangandaman. Sir Ben was my teacher twice in UP School of Economics, undergrad in 1984 and Program in Development Economics (PDE) in 1997-98. Mina was my classmate in the same PDE program. Sir Ben and Mina chose the date and place, I chose who can come, max only 6 of us.

I gathered some fellow Businessworld columnists -- Andrew Masigan, Dindo Manhit, Bernie Villegas. Plus BWorld editor in chief Willy Reyes. And I brought along Pidro. 

From left: Willy, Bernie, Sir Ben, Mina, BSP Asst Gov. ____, Mina's staff ____, Andrew, me, Dindo, Pidro.


Last week, Pidro celebrated his __th birthday. Next week Pidro will gather us Narra kids for another gathering and kwentuhan over nice food and drinks. 

Stay well and wealthy, Pidro.

No comments: